4.23.2010

smells

isn't it weird where smells can take you?  i went to hawaii this evening when i was stocking frozen mango used for smoothies.  twenty pounds of freshly frozen mango totally smells like my memories of hawaii over the years. 

& then unexplainably, when i was walking into work one morning, i smelled a boat marina & i went back & visisted my childhood where i spent many many saturdays on a boat & around marinas.  maybe some salty air drifted up from the ocean, i donno.  but it was both the salty air & that fiberglass smell.  i can picture myself watching the boat launch scoop the boats in & out of the water, half in awe, half in fear that the boat would somehow slip.  i remember walking down steep ramps & that meant that the tide was either really high (or really low- i can't remember) & looking thru the water to see the orange starfish & sometimes a jellyfish.  i remember the times dad would let me sit up on the bow & straddle the rails & the wind would whip my hair into a knotty mess. i remember spending the night on the boat.  on one summer night dad called into his favorite oldies station & requested "summer in the city."  sometimes we would go dock downtown seattle by anthonys fish bar & walk around bell street pier. i remember bringing chapter books to read "below deck" because boating "bored" me. now i wish i could go back & appreciate it more. 

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! that was not only a trip down memory lane for you but for me too....I could just picture it all so vividly...made me feel like I was livin' it all over again! And having been on Kirk and Mary's boat today just made me think of it even moreso...just fresh water not the salty stuff! Thanks for bringing back those memories...they were good and fun and sometimes we don't appreciate them so much until we don't have them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell thing happens to me ALL the time. I usually don't like it because it's such an intense memory shock. Sometimes though it's nice. I love Hawaii smells.

    ReplyDelete