9.29.2010

An ode to mail

so i was in organize mode this weekend.

the zac brown band tagged along as i sorted thru dozens of cards i (we) have received over the years.

i am NOT sentimental in pretty much all cases except when it comes to cards. i guess i just believe that when you take the time to write someone a note it has to be from the heart, and thats pretty special.

i found quite a collection in my posession.

Like all my letters from Harry - a dear friend who doesnt know who i am anymore.  ill never forget the hours he sat with me in roberts basement and comforted me in the battle of my life.  it was these letters (+ emails) that kept us connected when life took us too far away to meet over coffee.

i came across the few letters my Dad wrote, dating back  to 2004.  i couldnt read those this time- i knew id just cry, but ill always be glad we made that connection when we did. it was perfect timing.

then i came across the infamous love note from brigita, my fellow barista from starbucks, written on curious george stationary to zane.  it will always bring giggles & be treasured.

And there are the postcards that remind us of loved ones enjoying their adventures. one from my brother when he was in D.C. startled me. i had completely forgotten he'd gotten to go there. wow.

then there are the m a n y gift explanations between ash, lace & i- they never fail to make me lol. Example: "3. Gum- yeah itll probably be gross but who doesnt like trying new flavors? besides its always good to have some kind of gross gum to give people when they ask, right?"

I have every note ever received from Lori- Landon's Mom. i chose not to re read those too.  but still- its such a comfort to have tangible evidence of my babys growth over the years- to feel somehow included is priceless.

I have many of the thank yous written to us from Mom + the kids- understanding fully they were very influenced by our mother, but theyre still so sweet. Also love to see all the cards Mom has made with her hands and her heart- knowing the joy she gets from her creations.

Then there are the St. Patricks Day cards.  It makes me smile that my friends + family have indulged me over the years because i had decided a long time ago that march 17th was my favorite holiday.

Everytime someone has reached out & said "hey, im thinkin about you" it has stamped an impression on my heart & im grateful.

love letters between z & i over the years.


3 comments:

  1. Aww I love this post. And I love you! Thanks for keeping hold of some of our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of a clutter bug and am working on NOT! But I hold onto cards/letters and such too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get this from your mama :-) I'm not terribly sentimental until it comes to cards and letters and such from my kids and friends and husband...then I just have such a hard time throwing that kind of stuff away. I love those special memories...and someday, it will only be memories, so I'm so thankful to have these as little reminders of special former days!

    ReplyDelete