3.04.2010

the other night

baring your soul to your lover over quesadillas is underrated. we should do it more often fo sho.  monday night was the bestest. 

he was all: what do you want for dinner
& i was all like: i want a mashed potato bowl from kfc
& then he was all like: but i had that for lunch
& i was all: um, whats your point dude? i had one too
& he was all like: well i kinda want to sit-down somewhere...
& then i was all: hmmm....they've got booths at kfc you know....
& then he was all: i'm not really feelin' fast food....

& then i was all silent. it kinda threw me, not gonna lie.  we are pretty loyal to take-out these days.

& then i said exactly what i was thinking, whiiiich is not typically my style.  i prefer to pout while he tries to read my mind.  & when he fails, then i give him the evil eye & the silent treatment for a few months to punish him.

"i'm just not really feeling the whole eating in silence thing for like 20-something minutes."  yah. we'd become that couple recently. the one who you know is most definitely not dating because they are more interested in staring off into space then participating in adult conversation.  & i am most definitely NOT cool with being that couple. 

so i just put it out there & let it hang there.  i mean i said it nicely of course. but it was heavy all the same.

he sat there for a minute thinking about it. then he was all:  "well i can't really hear good in restaurants."

major pause. but my mind was totally yelling "ummm.... i smell maaayjah bull poop!!!!!!!"

instead i was just all calmish-like & said: "ok, that's fine, but either you try to hear me or i don't want to go out & sit down at a restaurant with you" dude. how do you feel about THAT!? (that last part was silent of course).

he thought about it. i could tell he was really listening to the words i had said out loud. & i'm pretty positive he could tell i was being perfectly straight-forward with him & not just some nasty b-word for the sake of nastiness.

so out we went.

he drove. i let him drive.  like the senior citizen driver that he is. sloooooooooooow. it's good practice for me to let him be the boss man & learn some patience simultaneously. cos i'm such an awesome multi-tasker like that. 

we chattered about work. he told me about this manager that he is 98% sure is getting canned soon.  this other manager asked him to snitch on the one who is getting the boot & zane was all: "umm nooo. i don't want to get involved. leave me out dawg." (of course zane didn't really say "dawg" - i mean can you imagine?!)

i should point out that it's a good thing the laws of the real world don't apply to Lowe's employees otherwise he might be in jail right now for obstruction of justice. annnnd conjugal visits in some nasty trailer would put a serious damper on my sex life.... i mean let's be real.... (i kid i kid)

i was all: "i think that was REALLY cool that you had brian's back dude"
& then he like totally interrupted me to tell me something else!
& then i was like all irritated! 

but wait! i stopped & took a moment to psycho-analyze myself before i delivered a tongue-lashing & asked: "so tell me oh dear looney head of mine, why am i irritated at this moment?" 

then i knew. oh yah. that boy ignored me when i complimented him. i mean i touched his knee & looked him in the eye AND EVERYTHING!!!

i kinda wanted to jump down that boy's throat but instead i was all: "um, why did you ignore me?" nice-like. AGAIN. i was on a roll guys... (I THINK IT'S THE DRUGS!!! shh...)

then he said something totally honest & calm back that went something like this: "i don't know how to accept compliments."  just like that. cool as a cucumber.

"oh."

"me either dude."

"we should work on that."

"ok."

enter hand-squeezing & two mushy-little hearts full of warm fuzzies.

the new "open door policy" continued at the restaurant.  we even discussed the big issues. like as in the ones that landed us in marriage counselling & on a series of medications & even separate beds for awhile there.  thooooose ones. 

but we talked about them like we were talking about the weather.  all mature & collected-like.

then we high-fived & he smacked my booty.  whew. & we're back. 

did i mention it was the bestest night ever? like ever ever.

yes- i know- i'm making something light out of something that i (we) take very seriously. but hey. my blog. my rules.  & let's not forget. we're 22. we want to act our age.  not try to be 22 going on 35.  cheese & rice society! but we have vowed to continue to take our happy pills & continue our marriage counselling with julian & promise to make a choice to commit to each other everyday.  that part we'll be mature about.... the rest?  no promises can be made.  =)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I just felt like I read "Dooce's" BLOG, however, it was NOT...it was Mr. & Mrs. R's, and I wasn't reading about Dooce's life but I was actually reading about the ups and downs, the defeats and triumps of my children! It just felt so strange, but I'm getting a clearer picture with every BLOG entry, where you're at, where you've come from and where you want to be heading! It's pretty interesting. And it's also interesting that people that USED to follow your blog don't comment anymore...I think they are "afraid" to become "involved" with your life as it is now (in it's fragile state) and what it is becoming! I am glad to see progress and to know that yes, life throws us curve-balls, and life does not always go the way we think it should, but whatever it is throwing at you...you are now trying to work on what it's shelling out and trying to get better. Now, come on over and eat some "po'man's lasagne" with us...if it doesn't make you feel better it'll make your tummy feel better...it's actually home-made mac-n-cheese with ground beef, spaghetti sauce and cheeses all layered together and baked...it's good and sounded like a great "comfort food" to make on what is supposed to be a windy rainy night this evening! Love ya and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! mama's always got my back & calls em like she sees em=) i love it. hey, i'd be scared of me too. tho some have reached out privately via email so don't worry too much;) would love to come on over... and i would be there if i could. i wasn't sure how to take it when you said you felt like you'd just read dooce's blog. for me that is a oompliment, because i love reading her writing. but coming from my mother? not sure sure what that was supposed to mean=) if it made you smile & laugh guiltily... then... sweeet=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. about Dooce's blog...your writing sounded like her writing...she's just FREE with what she says and what she's thinking. I love reading her blog because of that...sometimes its a bit crude, but it's hilarious and makes me laugh all the time! She is a hoot and I look forward to her updates just like I look forward to yours...so no worries...reading yours just gives me a little insight into your brain and your heart...it's o.k. to be 22 (and mind you, not too far from 23)...today is Marianne's 23rd and you're only 3 months behind her! I see that in your baby sister...just wanting to grow up so quickly at such a young age...but I know thats something that a person needs to deal with on their own and work out on their own...and especially with God's help IF we're willing to allow his help in our lives...sometimes not! But that hopefully comes too in the "growing up" phases of our life and then as we mature even more then we want God there ALL of the time! So keep on going and keep on growing...I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a full-on, out-loud, snort and chuckle experience from that first line. Thank you.
    Have to say that I can relate to what you said in that first comment Pam. I think it's an incredibly difficult thing for men specifically, myself mostly, to have any clue how to give comfort and not cause unintentional harm. It's so easy just to remain silent. But anyhow, to get to my point, that's why we need all the good Mamas we can have, cause you obviously rock at this! Makes me glad for my Mama!

    ReplyDelete